product number: 5517501
Measuring clinically dysfunctional anger by self-report.
18 to 76 years.
Key features include:
- Assesses anger as an independent problem, rather than as a secondary symptom of another issue.
- Uses an Anger-In/Anger-Out model—which not only examines the physical aggression resulting from anger, but also the cognitions associated with anger that may be a part of affective aggression.
- Items on the Anger Disorder Scale (ADS) were initially based on criteria being developed for an anger disorder that may be added to future versions of the DSM.
- Helps clinicians assess both the internal experiences and expressive patterns of their clients’ anger.
- Provides a strong basis for developing appropriate treatment plans.
The multidimensional structure represents 18 sub-scales distributed across five domains of emotions:
- Provocations Domain: Scope of Anger Provocations, Hurt/Social Rejection
- Arousal Domain: Physiological Arousal, Duration of anger, Episode Length
- Cognitions Domain: Rumination, Resentment, Suspiciousness
- Motives Domain: Revenge, Coercion, Tension Reduction
- Behaviours Domain: Brooding, Verbal Expression, Physical Aggression, Passive Aggression, Relational Aggression, Indirect Aggression.
The scale provides a total score and scores for three higher-order factors:
- Anger-in, Reactivity /Expression and Vengeance.
Qualification level required:
Level 2. Please see our Test User Qualifications page for guidance
Over 1400 people recruited through educational, clinical and work environments from varying ethnic and socio-economic strata of US society.
Short version 5 to 10 minutes. Long version 20 minutes.