1. How is the new kit different from the old kits?
Griffiths III is one single kit for continuous use from birth to 6 years (72 months). Previously, there were two separate kits for testing children aged 0-2 years and 2-8 years. There have been considerable improvements and updates so that Griffiths III reflects the latest knowledge of and research into child development. Stimulus materials have been modernised and the administration sequence has been streamlined. The number of subscales has been reduced from six to five.
2. How was Griffiths III normed?
The final normative and standardisation sample comprised 426 children from the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland. The sample consisted of 208 (48.8%) girls and 218 (51.2%) boys. Children from all 72 month groups were sampled to provide a spread across the age range of the test. The average age of the overall sample was 33.65 months, with a standard deviation of 20.58 months.
We can offer more detailed information about the normative and standardisation samples upon request. Full details can be found in the Griffiths III Manual Part I.
3. Who can use the Griffiths III?
The Griffiths III is aimed primarily for use by paediatricians and psychologists. Other Allied Health Professionals who meet the criteria for training as agreed by the training subcommittee of ARICD (such applications have to be made individually to ARICD).
In order to have access to Griffiths III, registered users of the previous editions must complete converstion training via a free e-learning module. New users must complete a separate e-module and attend a face-to-face training course. More information on each of these options can be found below.
4. How long is the administration time? How will it keep children engaged?
Administration can be expected to take roughly one hour, depending of course on the child – less than in previous versions. This is in part because many of the subscales use the integrated Quiet Book, cutting down on administration complexity while maintaining test validity. Among unique features of the Griffiths III are the range and variety of stimulus materials which ensures that even the shyest child can be motivated to engage. If concentration wavers, the examiner has a wide choice of tasks to re-engage the child. ‘Griff the Bear’ is introduced in Griffiths III, bringing a fun element of continuity across the Subscales and helping the test flow.
5. Will there be an electronic scoring program for the new Griffiths?
There are plans to offer an electronic scoring program for Griffiths III – however this will not be made available in the immediate future. Details will be announced.
How to ensure you a registered user of the previous Griffiths Scales so you are eligible to purchase Griffiths III
1. I trained in a previous edition of the Griffiths Scales, but I am not sure if I am a registered user. How do I check this?
You are welcome to check this by emailing us at Hogrefe and we will check your details against our database.
2. I trained in a previous edition of the Griffiths Scales but I am not a registered user. How do I resolve this so I can purchase Griffiths III?
You will need to create an account on the ARICD website, and then pay a registration fee to become a registered user. See the 'registered user' section on this page on ARICD’s website for instructions. If you have any questions about this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training in Griffiths III for registered users of the previous editions
1. I’m already trained to use the previous version of the Griffiths. Do I need to re-train on Griffiths III?
Yes, but this need not be in person – To become a registered user of Griffiths III, registered users of the previous Griffiths Scales need only undergo a free conversion course via an online e-learning package. The course takes roughly 3-6 hours to complete and you’ll need to please email email@example.com to request access.
There is also an additional face-to-face training course option for conversion training, and you can browse dates here. If you choose to attend one of these courses, you still need to complete the e-learning conversion course.
Whatever your chosen route, all those converting to Griffiths III will require the complete Griffiths III kit - there is no 'upgrade kit' as so many test items have been updated.
2. Do I need to complete the e-learning before purchasing the kit?
You do not need to complete the e-learning before purchasing the kit, however you will not be considered a qualified Griffiths III user nor sent a certificate of qualification until you complete the training. Successful registration also qualifies the user to receive special Griffiths III offers and important updates from ourselves and ARICD.
3. I want to purchase a Griffiths III kit for my department for several practitioners who were users of GMDS. Does one kit = one e-learning registration? How do they all register for Griffiths III conversion training?
Any person using the kit is required to take the conversion training, and instructions for registering any users will be provided with sales of the kit. Each person taking the training will be provided with their own unique login.
4. If I fail the knowledge test at the end of the e-learning course can I re-take it? How would I arrange this?
Yes, users may take the test as many times as required in order to pass and become registered. If you fail the knowledge test, you will be prompted to take it again until you pass.
5. Does the e-learning result in certification?
Yes, passing the test at the end of the e-learning will generate a certificate of completion. This will then be followed by a registration certificate from ARICD sent via email.
Griffiths III training for those who weren’t trained in the old editions
1. I’ve never been trained in Griffiths but would like to purchase the new kit. How do I obtain accreditation?
New user training is in two stages. First, there is an e-module to complete, information for which can be found here. This is then followed by a new condensed 3 day training course - dates and locations for which can be found here on the ARICD website. Should you have any queries about the various options or how to book, ARICD can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. When and where are the upcoming courses?
Courses are being held internationally, including across the UK and Republic of Ireland. Please visit this page on the ARICD website to browse course dates. Dates are being added all the time so do check back regularly.
3. How soon after training will I be able to obtain my certificate and purchase the kit?
After taking the new user training course, delegates will be expected to complete a post-course assignment before being granted their qualification. As soon as the assignment is marked and accepted, ARICD will register the delegate and they will be considered qualified to purchase and use the kit.
4. Do you have any training outside the UK?
Training opportunities are available in countries where we have dedicated distributors - such as Australia and South Africa. Please contact them for information or visit this page on the ARICD website.
Griffiths III equipment
1. The blue thread for the threading beads task that was provided in my Griffiths kit is coming apart. Can I have a free replacement?
Should you require a replacement blue thread for the threading beads task, please contact us to request one. More durable threads are now included in the kit.
1. I’ve recently purchased a Griffiths 2-8/Griffiths 0-2 kit. Will I be able to continue using this? Are there any problems with validity?
Customers who have purchased Griffiths 2-8 or 0-2 kits can continue to use these – the assessments continue to be valid. However, some components may not be available in the long term. See below for more information on stocking. It is considered best practice to use the latest version of a test – Griffiths III is based on the most recent relevant research and has up-to-date norms.
2. Will the components for GMDS continue to be available?
There is no planned date to stop selling these items at this time. We will give customers plenty of notice via our website before stopping offering materials.