Autism Conversations presents a more authentic, individualised and accurate way to evaluate children who may have autism or Asperger's Syndrome.
It opens up and improves the assessment process, looking at aspects of autism not adequately covered by current diagnostic criteria. The book demonstrates that conversation (among evaluators, teachers, parents and children) is vital to accurate diagnosis.
The book includes:
- How to use a visual framework to help all parties concerned understand the diagnosis
- How to explain the differences in language, social, and sensory development typical of children on the autism spectrum
- How to engage children who may not respond to normal conversational cues
- How to use sensory toys to discover each child's unique way of relating to the world
- How to form trusting relationships with parents and teachers
Written with great insight and sensitivity, this book addresses the needs and concerns of all those involved in the evaluation process.